Monday, August 28, 2017

Coffee Marshmallows

My mother's cousin is a good friend of mine. I truly love how my family members are more like friends than relatives.
She lives in state, but just far enough away that when she comes to visit, an overnight is in order.

She was down a couple of weekends ago, we had a fun "field trip" and then she spent the night.
The next morning, she was watching TV with hubby while I was puttering in the kitchen. She said "whatcha doing". When I said "making coffee marshmallows" she was in the kitchen in a flash!

Together we made these from A Cozy Kitchen.
Sadly, she had to go home before they were done chilling.

The next day, I cut them all up and packaged some for her.
I searched the house for a box to fit the container (no luck) so I brought it to work. Yeah, no luck there either!
The office manager and I managed to find a box that plastic silverware came in that was the right height. I spent some time being crafty, cutting it down to fit.
Whew!

Mailed them out (love me some click and ship!) and kept it a secret.
A couple days later I got a text message "OMG this is just sooooo good". Package had arrived safe and sound...and made cousin a very happy camper!

She now wants to play around with different flavors. I'm in!


Ingredients:
Prep:
½ Cup powdered sugar
½ Cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
Vegetable oil
Marshmallows:
¾ Cup warm water
1 Tbsp instant espresso granules
3 Envelopes gelatin
1 ½ Cups sugar
1 Cup light corn syrup
½ Tsp salt
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tsp vanilla extract
Vegetable oil


Directions:
1. Prep ingredients: sift the dry ingredients together. Grease a 10 x 8 casserole dish with the vegetable oil. Add a tsp or two of the cocoa mixture, sprinkled over the prepared dish.
2. Combine ½ cup warm water and instant espresso granules
3. Whisk until granules are dissolved. Put in fridge to cool.
4. Pour cooled espresso into a large bowl (stand mixer preferred, but a hand mixer does work)
5. Sprinkle gelatin over the coffee mixture and let sit for 10 minutes
6. In medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, salt, and ¼ cup water.
7. Heat over medium heat until sugar has dissolved
8. Turn the heat up to medium high and bring mixture to a boil
9. Cook for one minute, until the candy thermometer reaches 240 degrees
10. Carefully add boiling liquid to the gelatin.
11. Turn mixer to high and beat for 8-10 minutes, until mixture has doubled in volume and holds stiff peaks
12. Sift in the cocoa powder and pour in vanilla
13. Beat until incorporated
14. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish
15. Dust the top with a few tablespoons of cocoa powder/sugar mixture
16. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and allow to set until firm. Minimum 4 hours, preferably overnight

Print


Come party with me HERE!

2 comments:

  1. HEAVEN! That's what these sound like!! PINNED! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, these are fabulous! Can't wait to try them :)

    ReplyDelete